March 10, 2008
I do this thing where, when I come across a new online service, I sign up, use it for a bit, get bored of it, and NEVER USE IT AGAIN. My mailbox is flooded with reminder emails and newsletters of services I no longer use. Most of the time, I can’t figure out how to cancel my account (they’re usually free, so at least I don’t have to worry about paying for them).
Anyway, I’m going through my mailbox, and realized that I need to do a little “housecleaning”. So here’s all the services (that I can remember) that I do/don’t use, and I’ll get right to work disabling my unused accounts.
- Flickr – I know it’s a great service, I just don’t take enough pictures.
- Facebook – Seriously, after figuring out how to use Myspace, I never want to learn another system again.
- Stickam – I’m sure it’s a great socializing tool. I just get tired of listening to teenagers and their racist/sexist remarks.
- Pandora – I LOVE the idea of Pandora. I just rarely turn it on. Maybe this’ll get moved to my “occasionally used” in the future.
- Most IM services, such as AIM, Yahoo, Gtalk, etc.
- Photobucket – I don’t know why I use this over Flickr. Old habits? I might make the switch.
- Google Desktop – Haven’t found any “must have” plugins for it yet.
- Myspace – Ugh, this is almost in the “never use” category. Socializing sites like this are so… I don’t know. Immature? It IS nice to keep in contact with some of my family, though.
- Skype – I’ve not used it alot, but it is nice.
Use Every Day
- Gmail – obviously.
- Google Reader
- Twitter – I absolutely LOVE Twitter. I wish more of my friends would pick it up, though. It’s so convenient, especially since I can Tweet from my cell phone.
- Last.fm – It’s always running in the background. I rarely check for friends requests and whatnot, I just like it to tell what my musical tastes have been this day/week/month.